September 23, 2011

Cross-Training for Runners

A few days ago my Plantar Fasciitis flared up again. I thought I had kicked this one in the butt, and so I started to ramp up my training. However, I think I resumed running to quickly.

So I am going to take a break from running until my foot has fully healed. I realize this may negatively affect my ability to run the upcoming Rockledge Rumble 50K, but I think a short term set back in my training will put me into a position to return to training long term and without pain.

I am a goal oriented person. It is hard on one side to think about the potential of missing my goal race. However, I also must realize that I am one year ahead of schedule on my Three In Three Challenge. The smarter decision right now is to give my foot time to heal and then reset my milestone races after recovery. Heal now so I can run later.

But that doesn't mean that I can't exercise! I need to take up some type of cross-training activity to keep my fitness level up while greatly reducing the impact on my foot.

Biking? Swimming? Weight lifting? Pros/cons? Other cross-training suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Yes. Right now I am trying to heal my peroneal tendon. Slow going. Biking on the trainer has been my replacement for running. I'd prefer swimming but don't have access to a pool. Rowing is also a good cardio alternative. I lift twice a week as well and have continued but making sure I am choosing elements that don't aggrevate my injury. If it aggrevates injury don't do it. Healing is slow. I have a little over a week to marathon. Here's hoping I get to run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was plagued with injuries for the whole first year of my running. (I started 2 yrs ago after quitting smoking) This year I have been doing the majority of my training in minmalist shoes and have been injury free while running double the mileage. I have been using nike free and new balance mt101. I just completed my first 50 miler on 9-17! It was wet so I ran the first 35 in gore tex salomon's and ran the last 15 in the mt101's.
    Just my experience, YMMV. Best of luck to ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the note, Brian. I think it was the switch to minimalist shoes that was the root cause of my PF--not because minimalist shoes are bad, but instead because I didn't give enough time for my feet to adjust. I basically put them on and then ran 30 miles over the next 3 days. Probably not the best way to approach any footwear change! My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate being sidelined. However, mine is not a tendon issue, I fell while training and knocked a tiny sliver off my knee cap. Ugh! Here's to waiting for a couple more weeks for it to finish healing so I can run again! The waiting sucks - it's more difficult than training for the marathon! Good luck to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya on the waiting thing. My concern is that I will develop a new habit of not running and won't want to get back into it. But I suspect after the first few steps back out on the trail I will remember the love and dive back into it--slowly at first, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright 2010-2012 Thomas Kennedy
All rights reserved.

Contact The Trail Jogger